When is the best time to move?
Take all factors into consideration when deciding on the best time for you to move. Keep in mind, however, that the summer months (mid-May to mid-September) and the beginning and end of each month (regardless of the season) are particularly busy for moving companies and may require more flexibility and advanced scheduling.
How do I determine which moving companies to contact?
Ask your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family members if they can make recommendations. Investigate each of the movers you select with the Better Business Bureau. Good service is the best measure of a good mover.
When should I contact moving companies for estimates?
Try to provide moving companies with as much notice as possible, especially if you are moving during the summer months. We recommend at least four to six weeks before your desired moving date. This will increase your likelihood of securing the pickup and delivery dates you desire.
What happens when a relocation consultant comes to my home?
What happens when a relocation consultant comes to my home?The relocation consultant will arrive at your home to perform a visual survey of your items. The consultant must be able to clearly see what is being moved in order to provide you with an accurate estimate. If you know of items that are out of view or will be eliminated, be certain to point them out to the consultant. Once the visual survey is completed, the consultant will calculate the weight, packing cost and any other charges related to your move.
Household Moving Tips
Preparing For The Move
- Have a garage sale. Get rid of everything you don't need before you move.
- Get organized now. Don't wait until the last minute. Make list of things you need to do and when.
- Make sure you are ready for the packers and movers. Don't forget to do the laundry, wash the dishes, pack your suitcases, disconnect computers, stereos, and VCRs.
- Set aside those items that you will be taking with you and clearly mark them as Do Not Pack.
- Arrange to close your accounts at your local bank and opens accounts in your new hometown.
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from your post office or go to moversguide.usps.com
- Drain the gas and oil from all your power equipment (lawnmower, edger, etc.)
- Schedule house cleaning and other home services for the day after loading.
- Have your utilities shut off the day after loading (gas, electric, telephone, etc)
- Make your travel arrangements for the day after loading. In case of weather delays or other unforeseen problems, you wouldn't want to miss a flight or other travel related appointment.
- Before the moving truck leaves for your destination, give the driver your phone numbers where you can be reached. It is also a good idea to get the driver's cell phone number.
Be aware of items that can't be moved with the mover. These items include:
- Flammable Items
- Combustible Items
- Aerosol cans
- Hazardous Materials
- Ammunition and Explosives
- Legal Documents (wills, financial papers, insurance documents, etc.)
MOVING TIPS & RESOURCES
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
Went Above and Beyond
5 5 1
“I moved on 10/28 and I was extremely happy hat I chose DeVries. The representative and the moving men were on time, professional, courteous and did a wonderful job, went above and beyond. I would definitely recommend them again and again.
Excellent Packaging and Delivery
5 5 1
“I would recommend DeVries Family Moving & Storage above everyone in this area and recommend Wheaton Van Lines, the carrier over any other carrier. DeVries was the only company willing to come to the location of goods to be moved, give an estimate and insure the price would not exceed that estimate. Danny the driver and mover was extremely professional as was his assistant and provided excellent communication as to delivery date of time. They also provided excellent packaging and delivery of goods and I would specifically recommend him also. I was treated with great respect as a veteran by this company and it's personnel and altogether I would rate it 5 star. Service like this is hard to find in this day and age!
“Dean, Just wanted to say that I was really happy with the job the guys did in taking care of my move this past Monday. They arrived at my home on time and were very careful with all my belongings. Everything went very smoothly. I also appreciate the company being patient with the numerous times I had to postpone the move. If anyone I know needs a move, I'll make sure to put in a good word for your company. Thank you, Bruno
“We were totally satisfied with the professional manner of your movers, the care they exhibited in moving our possessions so as to minimize damage, and with the extra effort they demonstrated to make our move very satisfying. They are to be commended. We have already recommended your services to our close neighbors, Jim & Bev Brophy. Thank you. Ray & Michelle Pancallo
WPB to Atlanta move
5 5 1
“My wife and I experienced a very stress free, timely, and safe transport of our possessions from WPB to Atlanta by Devries Moving and Storage. The packing and loading of these goods was done in a very professional organised manner to insure damage free delivery and they arrived at their destination in excellent condition. Keith, the lead foreman ran a very disciplined ship with his crew from packing, loading and unloading, which did not go unnoticed by one of our new neighbors who remarked on Keith"s professionalism relative to the poor experience he had with his moving company . My wife and I would not hesitate recommending Devries Moving and Storage to anyone in need of those services
Moving Tips Overall rating: ★★★★★ 5 based on 21 reviews