When is the best time to move?
Take all factors into consideration when deciding on the best time for you to move. Keep in mind, however, that the summer months (mid-May to mid-September) and the beginning and end of each month (regardless of the season) are particularly busy for moving companies and may require more flexibility and advanced scheduling.
How do I determine which moving companies to contact?
Ask your neighbors, friends, coworkers and family members if they can make recommendations. Investigate each of the movers you select with the Better Business Bureau. Good service is the best measure of a good mover.
When should I contact moving companies for estimates?
Try to provide moving companies with as much notice as possible, especially if you are moving during the summer months. We recommend at least four to six weeks before your desired moving date. This will increase your likelihood of securing the pickup and delivery dates you desire.
What happens when a relocation consultant comes to my home?
What happens when a relocation consultant comes to my home? The relocation consultant will arrive at your home to perform a visual survey of your items. The consultant must be able to clearly see what is being moved in order to provide you with an accurate estimate. If you know of items that are out of view or will be eliminated, be certain to point them out to the consultant. Once the visual survey is completed, the consultant will calculate the weight, packing cost and any other charges related to your move.
Household Moving Tips
Preparing For The Move
- Have a garage sale. Get rid of everything you don't need before you move.
- Get organized now. Don't wait until the last minute. Make list of things you need to do and when.
- Make sure you are ready for the packers and movers. Don't forget to do the laundry, wash the dishes, pack your suitcases, disconnect computers, stereos, and VCRs.
- Set aside those items that you will be taking with you and clearly mark them as Do Not Pack.
- Arrange to close your accounts at your local bank and opens accounts in your new hometown.
- Obtain a change-of-address kit from your post office or go to moversguide.usps.com
- Drain the gas and oil from all your power equipment (lawnmower, edger, etc.)
- Schedule house cleaning and other home services for the day after loading.
- Have your utilities shut off the day after loading (gas, electric, telephone, etc)
- Make your travel arrangements for the day after loading. In case of weather delays or other unforeseen problems, you wouldn't want to miss a flight or other travel related appointment.
- Before the moving truck leaves for your destination, give the driver your phone numbers where you can be reached. It is also a good idea to get the driver's cell phone number.
Be aware of items that can't be moved with the mover. These items include:
- Flammable Items
- Combustible Items
- Aerosol cans
- Hazardous Materials
- Ammunition and Explosives
- Legal Documents (wills, financial papers, insurance documents, etc.)
MOVING TIPS & RESOURCES
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
5 5 1
“Best experience ever.
WONDERFUL MOVING EXPERIENCE
5 5 1
“I CALLED DEVRIES FAMILY MOVING WITH A SHORT NOTICE TO BE MOVED,THEY WERE VERY KIND, PROFESSIONAL AND WAS WILLING AND ABLE TO HELP ME WITH MY MOVE.. THE GUYS THAT MOVED US WERE VERY NICE,FAST AND PROFESSIONAL,, THE RATES WAS CHEAP AND WORKED WITH MY BUDGET.. NO DAMAGES,, VERY PLEASED WITH DEVRIES. I WILL DEFINITELY BE USING THEM AGAIN WHEN I MOVE AN I TOTALLY RECOMMEND THEM FOR YOUR NEXT MOVE ALSO... :)
5 5 1
“I had them move my whole house from Detroit to Port St. Lucie Florida. Everything was handled very professional, in a fast and propped way with no damages. Great movers made me smile and happy. Thank you. Very recommended.
The True Measure of a Fine Company!
5 5 1
“I used DeVries to move from Port St. Lucie to Lake Worth. Ron was extremely professional doing the estimate and made me feel at ease about how my belongings would be packed and stored. Although there was one small hiccup on moving day (the destination was mistaken for the origin), Robert and Andrew were very friendly and exceptionally professional. They got straight to work and never stopped. I've seen other movers move at a snail's pace and goof off, but not these guys. They understood that their time is my money and they worked hard! I wasn't present when the final invoice was being tallied and there was an error made, but when I called the office, they not only corrected it, they OVER corrected it! I've always felt that the true measure of a company is not the mistakes it makes, but they way it corrects them. DeVries owned up to any errors that were made and not only corrected them, but compensated me. I was quoted for 5.5 hours and charged for 5.5 hours. I am extremely satisfied with DeVries and highly recommend them to anyone doing a local move. Thank you for your professionalism!!
Professional and courteous
5 5 1
“DeVries was very efficient, courteous, kind, considerate to us. Their helper/workers handled our furniture with the utmost care. They were very knowledgeable and skillful in dismounting and mounting the essential furniture. They were very cooperative following our instructions where to place the different items. We were very satisfied with their work. Thank you!
Moving Tips Overall rating: ★★★★★ 5 based on 35 reviews